Re: is L1 really disabled in iwlwifi

[from Bjorn's mail]
> In Emmanuel's case, we don't get _OSC control, so
> pci_disable_link_state() does nothing.

Right, but this is true with the specific log I sent to you. Is it
possible that another platform  / BIOS, we *will* get _OSC control and
that pci_disable_link_state() will actually do something? In that case
I would prefer not to remove the call to pcie_disable_link_state().
Also - in the log I sent you, we don't get _OSC control, but I can see
'disabling PCIe ASPM" ... and it *is* enabled (since L1 works). So I
am kinda scratching my head here...

>> I'm not convinced iwlwifi really needs to disable the link power
>> management states in the first place -- the 1a7123cdd9 changelog isn't
>> very convincing, and I'm not aware of any reported issues even though
>> we're actually leaving them enabled in many cases.
>>
>> More generally, I don't think the pci_disable_link_state() interface
>> is very useful because it often doesn't do what it claims, and the
>> caller has no indication.
>
> The general issue here is that Windows will (as far as we've been able
> to determine) never touch ASPM registers unless given PCIe control via
> _OSC. Drivers are presumably able to override this by hitting
> configuration registers themselves. The pci_disable_link_state()
> functions are currently broadly equivalent to the helper functions
> provided in the Windows .inf files, and if drivers really want to
> disable the control themselves then they can do so. Renaming the
> functions to make that clearer, and possibly adding some additional
> functions to force the case, may be worthwhile.
>
> The only time this should be relevant is if (a) the BIOS has enabled L1
> on iwlwifi, (b) the BIOS has disabled ASPM control, and (c) the hardware
> doesn't work with L1 enabled. Are there really cases where that's true?

After having read (a bit) about _OSC I can say the following:
L1 is a must for the Windows driver - so that it doesn't sounds
reasonable that the .inf of the Windows driver for Intel Wireless NICs
disables ASPM through _OSC or through any other mechanism.
(a) - this is really platform / BIOS dependent, and I can't test all
the platform out there
(b) - ditto
(c) - the HW *should* work with L1 enabled but we may very well have a
bug in the driver. I have tried to check the way we initialize the HW
and it seems fine, but one never knows.

thanks for your time!