Re: My Dell XPS-9320 (kernel 6.10.x, et al.) doesn't detect Thunderbolt additions when coming out of suspend or hibernate

On 9/15/24 17:14, Kenneth Crudup wrote:

... and it turns out that my crashes on the CalDigit TB4 dock are probably related to a Thunderbolt-to-NVMe enclosure that was always plugged into to the dock; apparently when resuming "something" was waiting for the now-disconnected NVMe drive to come back, leading to the hangs. Disconnecting the enclosure from the dock seems to prevent the resume crashes.

I may try and root-cause that issue later, if I have time.

So I've determined this problem happened somewhere between 6.10.8 and 6.10.9; I don't always have the affected hardware so it'll take me a couple of days to bisect the issue, but at least I have an idea on where the problem is.

What's interesting is testing using the NVMe-to-TB adaptor directly into the laptop isn't enough to trigger the crashes, it has to be plugged into the CalDigit TB4 dock at suspend time to trigger a hang on resume if the CalDigit dock is disconnected in between.

-Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup / Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Orange County CA