Re: PCI resources above 4GB

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, 21:07:02 BST, Yinghai Lu <yinghai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Steven Newbury <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > > the suitable range for that is 0xe0000000-0xefffffff. that is not
> > > bigger enough, because need to preallocate 64M optional for 03:01.0
> > > the cardbus. but that is optional.
> >
> > Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there any way of enlarging the
> > PCI hole?
>
> Sane BIOS should have one option to increase that.
>
> or it should probe MMIO range it need to allocate for pci devices and
> hotplug. then set TOP_OF_LOW_MEM.

So far I'm concluding the BIOS isn't sane.  Is it possible to define a custom memory map from the linux boot cmdline to set TOP_OF_LOW_MEM?

Obviously, I'd prefer getting everything allocated into the address space available, and working, but if it comes down to it I'd accept a hack like the above if there's no other way.