Re: PCI resources above 4GB

On 10/04/12 19:40, Yinghai Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Steven Newbury
> <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Can you please try attached patches with pci=nocrs?
>>>
>>> for pci=use_crs, we need find safe place beyond _CRS, because
>>> your _CRS limit under 4g.
>>>
> ..
>> So far it has changed behaviour:
>>
>> Many devices now assigned above 4g.
>>
>> When booted while docked i915 fails to initialise, along with
>> radeon as before.
>>
>> When undocked i915 initialises, but radeon still fails when
>> hot-docked.
>>
>> I've attached output of 'lspci -vvv', 'cat /proc/iomem', and
>> "dmesg.log" for the docked case.
>>
>> Also, "dmesg-hotplug.out" for hot docking after boot.
>
> looks good,  please only apply
>
> allocate_high_at_first.patch
>
> Yinghai

Seems to be exactly the same.  When started docked (so I think both
'cards' try to claim the same preferred addresses) the integrated i965
GFX gets reassigned high:
120000000-12fffffff : 0000:00:02.0

But it's quite possible the i915 module doesn't currently handle this
case and so fails to initialise.

I'm not sure why the Radeon doesn't get assigned a high address when
hot-plugged..?

These are the only entries in /proc/iomem above 4GB:

Booted UNDOCKED, then hot-docked

100000000-11fffffff : System RAM
120000000-1201fffff : PCI Bus 0000:0b
120200000-1203fffff : PCI Bus 0000:0c