Re: TDISP enablement

Samuel Ortiz wrote:
[..]
> > There is always a driver which has to enable the device and tell it where it
> > can DMA to/from anyway so the RUN state does not really let the device start
> > doing things once it is moved to RUN
>
> I agree. But setting RUN from the host means that the guest can start
> configuring and using that device at any point in time, i.e. even before
> any guest component could verify, validate and attest to the TDI. RUN is
> precisely defined for that purpose: Telling the TDI that it should now
> accept T-bit TLPs, and you want to do that *after* the TVM accepts the
> TDI. Here, by having the host move the TDI to RUN, potentially even before
> the TVM has even booted, you're not giving the guest a chance to explictly
> accept the TDI.

I wanted to circle back to this to agree about allowing the guest to
control the transition from LOCKED to RUN. Recall the Plumbers
conversation where I mentioned TDX moving closer to TIO to streamline
the common TSM interface in Linux, and foreshadowing other vendors
making similar concessions. This is an example where the "as simple as
possible, but no simpler" threshold looks to have been crossed.

TDX like COVE allows for guest to trigger LOCKED to RUN transition. For
vendor alignment purposes this looks like an opportunity for TIO to
enable the same and prevent a vendor-specific semantic difference in the
TSM common infrastructure.

[..]
[inclue Samuel's further justification that I also Ack]