Re: TDISP enablement

On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 11:05:51AM +0000, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 08:27:17 +0100
> Lukas Wunner <lukas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Thanks Alexy, this is a great discussion to kick off.

I'd certainly agree with that.

> [...]
> policy setup cares about result is different question ;)
>

> > > - tdi_info - read measurements/certs/interface report;
> >
> > Does this return cached cert chains and measurements from the device
> > or does it retrieve them anew?  (Measurements might have changed if
> > MEAS_FRESH_CAP is supported.)
> >

> > > If the user wants only CMA/SPDM, the Lukas'es patched will do that without
> > > the PSP. This may co-exist with the AMD PSP (if the endpoint allows multiple
> > > sessions).
> >
> > It can co-exist if the pci_cma_claim_ownership() library call
> > provided by patch 12/12 is invoked upon device_connect.
> >
> > It would seem advantageous if you could delay device_connect
> > until a device is actually passed through.  Then the OS can
> > initially authenticate and measure devices and the PSP takes
> > over when needed.
>
> Would that delay mean IDE isn't up - I think that wants to be
> available whether or not pass through is going on.
>
> Given potential restrictions on IDE resources, I'd expect to see an explicit
> opt in from userspace on the host to start that process for a given
> device.  (udev rule or similar might kick it off for simple setups).
>
> Would that work for the flows described?
>
> Next bit probably has holes...  Key is that a lot of the checks
> may fail, and it's up to host userspace policy to decide whether
> to proceed (other policy in the secure VM side of things obviously)
>
> So my rough thinking is - for the two options (IDE / TDISP)
>
> Comparing with Alexey's flow I think only real difference is that
> I call out explicit host userspace policy controls. I'd also like
> to use similar interfaces to convey state to host userspace as
> per Lukas' existing approaches.  Sure there will also be in
> kernel interfaces for driver to get data if it knows what to do
> with it.  I'd also like to enable the non tdisp flow to handle
> IDE setup 'natively' if that's possible on particular hardware.
>
> 1. Host has a go at CMA/SPDM. Policy might say that a failure here is
>    a failure in general so reject device - or it might decide it's up to
>    the PSP etc.   (userspace can see if it succeeded)
>    I'd argue host software can launch this at any time.  It will
>    be a denial of service attack but so are many other things the host
>    can do.
> 2. TDISP policy decision from host (userspace policy control)
>    Need to know end goal.
> 3. IDE opt in from userspace.  Policy decision.
>   - If not TDISP
>     - device_connect(IDE ONLY) - bunch of proxying in host OS.
>     - Cert chain and measurements presented to host, host can then check if
>       it is happy and expose for next policy decision.
>     - Hooks exposed for host to request more measurements, key refresh etc.
>       Idea being that the flow is host driven with PSP providing required
>       services.  If host can just do setup directly that's fine too.
>   - If TDISP (technically you can run tdisp from host, but lets assume
>     for now no one wants to do that? (yet)).

Yes, I'd say it's a safe assumption.

>     - device_connect(TDISP) - bunch of proxying in host OS.

imho TDISP should be orthogonal to the connect verb. connect is a
PF/Physical device scoped action. TDISP is a VF/TDI state machine, and
the bind verb is meant for that (This is where the TSM should start
moving the TDISP state machine to bind a TDI and a TVM together).

>     - Cert chain and measurements presented to host, host can then check if
>       it is happy and expose for next policy decision.

In the TDISP/VF passthrough case, the device cert chain and it's
attestation report will also have to be available to the guest in order
for it to verify and attest to the device.

> 4. Flow after this depends on early or late binding (lockdown)
>    but could load driver at this point.  Userspace policy.
>    tdi-bind etc.
>

> > > If the user wants only IDE, the AMD PSP's device_connect needs to be called
> > > and the host OS does not get to know the IDE keys. Other vendors allow
> > > programming IDE keys to the RC on the baremetal, and this also may co-exist
> > > with a TSM running outside of Linux - the host still manages trafic classes
> > > and streams.
> >
> > I'm wondering if your implementation is spec compliant:
> >
> > PCIe r6.1 sec 6.33.3 says that "It is permitted for a Root Complex
> > to [...] use implementation specific key management."  But "For
> > Endpoint Functions, [...] Function 0 must implement [...]
> > the IDE key management (IDE_KM) protocol as a Responder."
> >
> > So the keys need to be programmed into the endpoint using IDE_KM
> > but for the Root Port it's permitted to use implementation-specific
> > means.
> >
> > The keys for the endpoint and Root Port are the same because this
> > is symmetric encryption.
> >
> > If the keys are internal to the PSP, the kernel can't program the
> > keys into the endpoint using IDE_KM.  So your implementation precludes
> > IDE setup by the host OS kernel.
>
> Proxy the CMA messages through the host OS. Doesn't mean host has
> visibility of the keys or certs.  So indeed, the actual setup isn't being done
> by the host kernel, but rather by it requesting the 'blob' to send
> to the CMA DOE from PSP.
>
> By my reading that's a bit inelegant but I don't see it being a break
> with the specification.
>

> > device_connect is meant to be used for TDISP, i.e. with devices which
> > have the TEE-IO Supported bit set in the Device Capabilities Register.
> >
> > What are you going to do with IDE-capable devices which have that bit
> > cleared?  Are they unsupported by your implementation?
> >
> > It seems to me an architecture cannot claim IDE compliance if it's
> > limited to TEE-IO capable devices, which might only be a subset of
> > the available products.
>
> Agreed.  If can request the PSP does a non TDISP IDE setup then
> I think we are fine.

The TSM, upon receiving a connect request from the host should establish
the SPDM+IDE connection. If it never receives a bind request, it should
not do any TDISP action. This way we could have the TSM supporting both
the passthrough and non passthrough use cases.

Cheers,
Samuel.