Re: [REGRESSION] resume with a Thunderbolt dock broke with commit e8b908146d44 "PCI/PM: Increase wait time after resume"

On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 11:05 AM Mika Westerberg
<mika.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK. Did you change any BIOS settings from the defaults that might have
> affect on this? Sometimes these are exposed to through the BIOS menu and
> the user can change those (Lenovo typically does not, expose them
> though).

These BIOS pages seem they could be relevant:
https://imgur.com/a/vEltxpj

And heureka, "Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode" affects this! It was
disabled (not sure if that's the default or I changed it before).
After I enable it, the resume 60+ second delay is gone, it resumes in
standard ~5 seconds. The dock devices (mouse, LAN) still take a few
extra seconds to activate. The dmesg for a resume with TB assist mode
is here:
https://bugzilla-attachments.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1984785

Unfortunately, it seems to have its own quirks. There seems to be
something like ~20% chance that the dock devices are no longer
available after resume. I see the dock as connected in boltctl, but I
no longer see the devices in lsusb. Reconnecting the dock doesn't
help, more suspend&resume cycles don't help, only system reboot helps.
I captured this situation in this dmesg (there are multiple resume
events, the devices disappear after the last one):
https://bugzilla-attachments.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1984786

This might be the same problem that I described regarding
pcie_aspm=off to Bjorn, but I'd need to check. Either way, this wasn't
happening when the TB assist mode was disabled.

> Can you also attach output of acpidump to and dmesg with
> "thunderbolt.dyndbg=+p" in the command line?

acpidump:
https://bugzilla-attachments.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1984802

dmesg with "thunderbolt.dyndbg=+p" and one suspend&resume cycle:
https://bugzilla-attachments.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1984803

I'm currently running kernel 6.4.8 packaged in Fedora 38 for these
experiments, I hope that's OK. If needed, I can switch to the latest
kernel.