Re: [REGRESSION] resume with a Thunderbolt dock broke with commit e8b908146d44 "PCI/PM: Increase wait time after resume"

On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 9:56 AM Mika Westerberg
<mika.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So directly after resume the PCIe link (tunnel) from the Thunderbolt host router
> PCIe downstream port does not get re-established and this brings down
> the whole device hierarchy behind that port. The delay just made it take
> longer but the actual problem is not the delay but why the tunnel is not
> re-established properly.

If you want to compare it to a "fast" resume (~5 sec, before commit
e8b908146d44), here's dmesg:
https://bugzilla-attachments.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1984726

Even when the resume is fast, it takes a few extra seconds before the
devices on the dock are usable in the OS. For example, my USB mouse
connected to the dock doesn't work immediately, I have to wait a few
more seconds. The ethernet on the dock also reconnects only after a
few extra seconds.

> Next question is that what's the Thunderbolt firmware version? You can
> check it throughs sysfs: /sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/0-0/nvm_version

$ sudo cat /sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/0-0/nvm_version
20.0

Here's whole `fwupdmgr get-devices` output, if that helps:
https://bugzilla-attachments.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1984728

Before reporting this bug, I updated the firmware on the Dock itself
to the latest version (had to use Windows for that). The dock should
have now this firmware:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS506176
Which is:
    Tool package V1.0.25
    TBT FW: C44
    PD FW: 1.38.07
    DP hub: 3.13.005
    Audio: 04-0E-87_Rev_0087
according to the Readme file. That seems to match the "44" version in
the fwupdmgr output.

> see the BIOS you have seems to be quite recent (06/12/2023) so that
> probably should be good enough.

Lenovo seems to support it through LVFS, so that's what I use for
updating the BIOS. Version 0.1.54 was updated quite recently and it
seems to be also the latest version they have on their website.