Re: SSD SATA 3.3 and Broadcom / LSI SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS

Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

Thank you Bjorn for answering and explaining

> ASPM is a PCIe feature that applies to the PCIe Links between 00:02.0
> and 01:00.0 (the first 1068E) and 00:15.0 and 08:00.0 (the second
> 1068E).
>
> PWDIS is a feature on the SATA cables between the SAS1068E adapters
> and the SSDs.
>
> PWDIS/P3 should not be related to ASPM.  I assume you're referring to
> the "disabling ASPM on pre-1.1 PCIe device" message.  That should
> happen with both the old r3.0 HDDs and the new r3.3 SSDs.

Yes, this is what I meant. So it can be ignored as well as the ASPM.
I will check the cables, when I can get hands on the machine - just out of
curiosity.

> I wish I had some good ideas for you, but I don't know anything about
> the SATA side.  I googled for "1068 ssd sata 1.5 gb/s" and found a few
> hints about system firmware, LSI firmware, etc, but nothing concrete.

Yeah, if it were so easy, I wouldn't be bothering you.

> I think some controllers have a BIOS setup user interface; have you
> poked around in there?

I have not seen the bios of the machine for many years. I was looking
forward to plug it to a console, so that I can reboot remotely, but for
some reason it was not possible. It was may be 5y ago. I will definitely
double check this, allthough there will be nothing regarding SATA3.3 there
as these were build many years before SATA3.3 saw daylight.

As mentioned in the other posting I will attach those SSDs directly to the
mobo. There are 6 SATA ports there. I think this is the best approach.
But you know curiosity is a force you can not resist, so I still want to
know why?! :)

Thank you anyway
BR
--
FCD6 3719 0FFB F1BF 38EA 4727 5348 5F1F DCFE BCB0