Re: ASMedia ASM1812 PCIe switch causes system to freeze hard

On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 6:20 AM <fk1xdcio@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2023-02-25 13:28, Chris wrote:
> > I'm testing a generic 4-port PCIe x4 2.5Gbps Ethernet NIC. It uses an
> > ASM1812 for the PCI packet switch to four RTL8125BG network
> > controllers.
>
> Sorry, I forget my attachment with the PCI device information.

Looks like your mail client is breaking threads.

Anyway, the only thing of interest I can see in the log is that AER is
reporting correctable errors on three of your four NICs:

07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125
2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)
Capabilities: [100 v2] Advanced Error Reporting
CESta: RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- AdvNonFatalErr-
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125
2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)
Capabilities: [100 v2] Advanced Error Reporting
CESta: RxErr+ BadTLP- BadDLLP+ Rollover- Timeout+ AdvNonFatalErr-
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125
2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)
Capabilities: [100 v2] Advanced Error Reporting
CESta: RxErr+ BadTLP- BadDLLP+ Rollover- Timeout+ AdvNonFatalErr-
0a:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125
2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)
Capabilities: [100 v2] Advanced Error Reporting
CESta: RxErr+ BadTLP- BadDLLP+ Rollover- Timeout+ AdvNonFatalErr-

Bad Data Link Layer Packet errors suggest that specific card has
signal integrity issues. Assuming that's true, more traffic to the NIC
means more opportunities for uncorrectable errors which would explain
the hard lockups. I'm not sure why setting pci=nommconf seems to fix
the problem, but my guess it's just masking the issue. The AER
capability is in the extended config space which requires the memory
mapped config space to access so disabling that probably just stops
the kernel from noticing that errors are occuring. The network stack
is pretty forgiving of errors since it can just drop packets which
might also explain the lower throughput too.