Re: PCI runtime PM issue on NEC xHCI host

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011, Jesse Barnes wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 17:00:20 +0000
> Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 09:57:45AM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:

> > > Yeah that makes sense.  But hopefully we can get away without polling
> > > at all if we actually implement PME message interrupt support on the
> > > host bridge side.  Does anyone with affected hardware want to try that?
> > > I think the publicly available docs have enough info to do it...
> >
> > Don't we already have that, assuming the hardware gives us control via
> > _OSC? The problem we've seen is that a pile of hardware appears to set
> > the PME flag without generating any interrupt, regardless of whether
> > we're in ACPI or native delivery modes.
>
> On Linus's machine, we didn't see any GPEs and neither does there seem
> to be an interrupt handler registered for the PME interrupt...  Not
> that having one registered will guarnatee us anything, but it's worth
> forcing it to see if we at least get interrupts (though that assumes
> the NEC device is actually sending PME messages to the root complex
> correctly).
>
> Either way, I guess the BIOS on this machine just doesn't expect PME
> to be used on this device at all...

Pardon me for being slow, but I don't see how this is related to the
problem Linus reported.  Namely, that _every_ PM event caused both of
the EHCI controllers to be resumed, even if they had nothing to do with
the event in question.

Could some user program be responsible for this?

Alan Stern