Re: PCI runtime PM issue on NEC xHCI host

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 09:57:45AM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 07:47:05 -0700
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think that the PCI "poll for PME" logic should just resume the
> > device - and *not* suspend it again. Maybe it can suspend it next time
> > around when it polls, if PME has been cleared. That should be (a) sane
> > and (b) obviate any need for some random delay in some random driver.
> >
> > Jesse?
> >
> > That said, Matthew's suggestion sounds like a good idea regardless.
>
> Yeah that makes sense.  But hopefully we can get away without polling
> at all if we actually implement PME message interrupt support on the
> host bridge side.  Does anyone with affected hardware want to try that?
> I think the publicly available docs have enough info to do it...

Don't we already have that, assuming the hardware gives us control via
_OSC? The problem we've seen is that a pile of hardware appears to set
the PME flag without generating any interrupt, regardless of whether
we're in ACPI or native delivery modes.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx