Re: PCIe device (thunderbolt tunneled) runtime suspended while driver wants to attach.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 10:26:06PM -0700, Rajat Jain wrote:
> 2) Is my understanding correct that any device should NOT be runtime
> suspended while a driver is trying to attach to the device? Where is
> this ensured (for e.g. for NVMEs)? Is this ensured by the driver core,
> or a device driver that is trying to probe a PCI device needs to
> ensure this?

For some reason the driver core only runtime resumes a device on unbind
(in __device_release_driver()), but not on bind (in driver_probe_device()).

However, the PCI core makes up for that by runtime resuming the device
in local_pci_probe().

> 3) So all downstream devices of a PCI bridge need to be suspended
> before it can be suspended (and vice versa for resume)? In other
> words, is ita bug if I notice that a PCI bridge is runtime suspended
> while any of its downstream devices are not?

Yes to both questions.

> 4) Any suggestions for me to try?

Could you try to bisect the issue?

Thanks,