RE: PCI BAR address mismatch between kernel and module?

On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 8:07 PM, Matthew Wilcox <mailto:matthew@xxxxxx> wrote:

> It might be CONFIG_PCIEASPM as that might change the offset of
> resource[0].  But it's probably a patch they've applied, so you're going
> to need to get their source code.

I had not made a follow-up post yet since I was still investigating some
other possibilities along these lines, but after the last exchange on here, I
took a look at the pci_dev struct more closely, and sure enough, there are no
less than 3 CONFIG options that change the shape of the struct via
preprocessor ifdefs: PCIEASPM, PCI_MSI, and PCI_IOV.  Predictably, since the
last two are near the bottom, enabling those didn't make a difference, but
PCIEASPM, it turns out, must have been the option that I toggled at one point
which caused resource[0].start to show the value I expected to be carried in
resource[1].start (I had hypothesized in my original post that this occurred
when I set CONFIG_PCI_GOBIOS, but I was wrong, which also explained why I was
unable to reproduce this behavior again until now).

So, yeah, they must have added some other patch.  I've looked at all of the
changes made to pci.h from 2.6.35 through 3.0.0-rc2, and found only 1 patch
(submitted the day before 2.6.35 was released, but which was not included in
2.6.35) that has been accepted into a mainline release which also happens to
change the pci_dev struct, and where the change was inserted before the
resource struct array (and which, incidentially, it looks like you also had
a hand in developing!)

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;h=253d2e549818f5a4a52e2db0aba3dacee21e5b38

Hoping that perhaps the manufacturer had used this patch in their own builds,
I applied the change to mine, but it did not work.

I have sent them a request for their code, but their policy is that they will
not distribute it electronically.  They're halfway across the world from me,
and they will only ship it to me on a CD after I have wired them payment for
it.  But first I have to wait for them to respond with current details on
where to wire the money to.  So this whole process could take a while.

*sigh*

Thanks anyway, everybody!

--
Nathan Anderson