RE: PCI Express Max Payload Size

You most likely would be getting PCI AER errors if the BIOS maxpayload was not setup properly.  This code only affects hot insertion of cards.

The BIOS scans the entire PCI device tree and determines the least-common denominator for the maxpayload setting based on their capability, it then sets the PCIE bridge and device maxpayload configuration to that value.

When you hot insert a card, its maxpayload setting will get set to 128 by default.  If the parent maxpayload setting is not 128, then PCIE AER errors occur when doing I/O to the card.  The BIOS is not active during hotplug and does not re-enumerate the cards.  This code essentially will do	 the same as the BIOS, it will determine the setting of the parent and child and update the child device appropriately.

--jordan hargrave
Dell Enterprise Linux Engineering