Re: PCI service interrupt handlers & access to PCI config space

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 04:04:51PM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Sunday 11 April 2021 20:25:55 Keith Busch wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 06:26:22PM +0200, Lukas Wunner wrote:
> > >
> > > 1.5 sec is definitely too long.  This sounds like a quirk of this
> > > specific hardware.  Try to find out if the hardware can be configured
> > > differently to respond quicker.
> >
> > While 1.5 sec is long, pcie spec's device control 2 register has an option to
> > be even longer: up to 64 seconds for a config access timeout! I'm not sure of
> > the reasoning to allow something that high, but I think the operating system
> > would be not be too happy with that.
>
> So what can we do in this case? On single core CPU it means that raw
> spin lock would completely block any operation on CPU for 64 seconds.

I don't think it would work here. I'm just saying that while 1.5s config
access is quite long, the spec provides an option where times exceeding
that are expected.

I have never seen a device configured that way, though. The completion
timeouts are usually set in milliseconds.

> Do you know what is the timeout for other registers?

The Device Control Register 2 timeout value is the setting for all
non-posted requests.