Re: PCI Express Hot-plug

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 07:53:55PM -0600, David Hagood wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 09:33 -0800, Greg KH
> > Ok, what was wrong with my response?  Was it not sufficient?
>
> You mean, other than not actually supplying any sort of a suggest as to
> how to generate the needed events, or supplying any direction to find
> out how to generate the events, or actually giving any sort of positive
> information?
>
> Other than that, nothing was wrong.

Great, another satisfied customer :)

Seriously, this is well described in the PCI Hotplug spec from the
PCI-SIG as to the fact that you need to have an external controller to
handle the addition and removal of the PCI devices and cause the PCI bus
rescaning.  There is a ACPI PCI hotplug spec that describes this.

If you don't want to use ACPI (which I don't blame you), you could
emulate the old Compaq PCI Hotplug controller which was documented quite
well and was a very simple device.

As for rescanning the bus, again, look at the fakephp driver for a quick
and dirty way of doing this.  You can use that driver for embedded
systems if you know when you want to rescan the bus, and it shows how to
remove a PCI device from the system in a safe way.

Does that help?  If not, please ask specific questions as to the issues
you have run into in trying one of the above methods out.

thanks,

greg k-h