Re: EEH on non-ppc platforms?

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 03:43 -0700, Sathya.Perla@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to know why the EEH feature of the Linux PCI sub-system is available only for ppc based pseries platform (I see the eeh core files only under arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries.) Aren't there any other platforms (say non-ppc based) with EEH-aware PCI bridges, on which this feature can be used?
>
> Also, is it possible for a driver to independently detect a card error and request (via EEH) the PCI controller to freeze the slot? Is there a kernel API to do so? This is useful in cases where an (unrecoverable) card error may not be detected by the PCI controller.

There's some more/less generic error handling & recovery callbacks for
drivers, which are based on EEH on IBM powerpc servers, and afaik
there's some level of native AER-based implementation for other
architectures.

Look for pci_ers_* and PCI_ERS_* in the headers.

I am not familiar with the exact capabilities of the non-EEH
implementation.

Cheers,
Ben.