Re: [BUG] Intel DP43BF MB - No PCI Devices detected

On Friday, September 10, 2010 06:16:00 am Brian C. Huffman wrote:

> **Bjorn Helgaas<bjorn.helgaas@xxxxxx>  <http://marc.info/?a=105422952700001&r=1&w=2>**  wrote:
> >  On Tuesday, August 31, 2010 03:21:05 pm Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> >  >  I have an Intel DP43BF motherboard with 4 PCI slots, 2 PCIe x1 and 1 PCIe x16 \
> >  >  slots.  With 2.6.36-rc2-git5 (as well as stable 2.6.34 and .35), the kernel doesn't \
> >  >  see my conventional PCI devices.  They can be seen with dmidecode but do not show \
> >  >  up with lspci.  I've tried pci=noacpi, pci=use_crs and while it takes the options, \
> >  >  it doesn't change the visibility of the devices.
> >  >  These same devices (a PVR250,Maudio Delta DiO, and Fusion HD DVB card) previously \
> >  >  worked with another motherboard.
> >  >  Here's the lspci:
> >  >  00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 90)
> >  >  ...and dmidecode:
> >  >  [snip]
> >  >  Handle 0x0036, DMI type 9, 17 bytes
> >  >  System Slot Information
> >  >  Designation: PCI Slot
> >  >  Type: 32-bit PCI
> >  >  Current Usage: In Use
> >  >  Length: Short
> >  >  ID: 3
> >  >  Characteristics:
> >  >  3.3 V is provided
> >  >  Opening is shared
> >  >  PME signal is supported
> >  >  Bus Address: 0000:00:1e.0
> >  >  Is there anything else I should include to help troubleshoot?
> >
> >  It looks like your PCI devices should be on the bus behind the
> >  bridge at 1e.0.  Can you collect a dmesg log?  That will have
> >  information about the PCI probe process.
> >
> >  Are the PCI cards electrically compatible with the slots?  Are
> >  there any BIOS options related to the conventional PCI bridge
> >  or enabling/disabling those slots?  They're not hot-plug slots
> >  with open latches?  Have you ever seen any card work in those
> >  slots, with any kernel?
>
> As far as I know, the PCI cards are electrically compatible.  The board documentation says only
> "Conventional PCI Slots."  I think it also mentions PCI 2.3 compliant.  There do not appear to
> be any BIOS options that relate to the bridge.  This is a new board, so I have not seen any
> other cards work with any other kernel.  I have tried about 4 different kernels though - some
> fedora and some vanilla.
>
> FYI - I just loaded Windows XP SP2 and have verified that it can see the cards and that they all
> work as expected, so I would assume that answers the "electrically compatible" question above.

Yes, I would assume the same.  On your Windows install, can you use
a tool like Everest (free trial from http://www.lavalys.com/) to see
where the devices in question live?

My guess is they're behind this bridge:

> pci 0000:00:1e.0: PCI bridge to [bus 20-08] (subtractive decode)

There's something wrong here because the [20-08] bus number range is
backwards.  Maybe the secondary bus is really 08, but we scan bus 20
instead?

The "pci=assign-busses" parameter might work around this for now.
Maybe Windows is smart enough to notice this problem and reprogram
the bridge to something sensible automatically.

Bjorn