Re: GPU hotplug with pciehp

On Wed, 19 May 2010 10:30:44 -0700
Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, in the next section, 4.1.5 entitled "Add-in Card Driver
> Requirements", the last paragraph states:
> 	Third, one alternative for the treatment of PCI options ROMs is
> 	for the operating-system vendor to require that the add-in card
> 	driver replace any necessary functionality of option ROMs after
> 	a hot-insertion event (see Section 4.1.4).
>
> So it looks like we are safe to try to do this now.  If things "break",
> without a BIOS option rom running, well, odds are suspend/resume didn't
> work either on this platform, so there are bigger issues here.
>
> > >Yes, they might not, but then again, they might, it all depends on the
> > >video card itself.  Which was why the spec said that VGA-like devices
> > >could not be hotplugged, and hence, we try to check that in the kernel
> > >code.
> > I don't see any reference to this rule in the most recent version of
> > the spec.  If it is indeed not present anymore, can we remove this
> > check?
>
> Let's try it and see what happens :)

Yeah we should theoretically be able to handle this.  The graphics
drivers will need a bit of work to handle it (run POST-like operations
at insert time) but it should be possible.

So Praveen, if you want to send a patch to remove the check for display
devices, I'll apply it and we can try things out.

Thanks,