Re: PME# for add-on cards

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 01:12 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently we've had a bug report indicating that WoL doesn't work with e100,
> although the driver does everything needed to support it.  Apparently, the user
> had to echo PCI0 to /proc/acpi/wakeup to make it work.
>
> After some debugging it turned out that PCI0 is the PCI host bridge
> (no-bus:pci0000:00), so apparently echoing PCI0 to /proc/acpi/wakeup causes
> a wake-up GPE to be set up for the host bridge which triggers wake-up once
> eth0 signals PME#.
>
> So, it looks like we need to set up wake-up GPE for a host bridge for PME#
> from add-on cards to work, at least on this particular box.
>
> First, I wonder if that's the case in general (anybody knows?).  Second, if
> that is the case, would it be a good idea to set up the host bridge wake-up GPE
> by default?
>
> Rafael

This is very known problem (at least for me)

On my desktop, /proc/acpi/wakeup controls all the wakeup sources, and if
disabled, nether addon cards (ethernet) nor internal devices
(usb,ethernet) will wake up the system.

I think that proc/acpi/wakeup should be synced with power/wakeup
attribute.

Also, I would be really happy to see bogus (empty) power/wakeup
attributes be gone.

Also, something is broken in regards to PME from addon cards:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg104460.html

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky