Re: Add qword support to pciutils

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 04:45:07PM -0700, Warren Turkal wrote:
> I don't really care about that. I just want to be able to look at and
> decode the values more easily.
>
> Speaking of pie in the sky, it would also be nice if I could tell it
> to spit out a string of binary bits instead of hex sometimes. It would
> be even better if I could only spit out certain bits as binary or hex.
>
> For example, let's say I want something like bits 23 through 29 of the
> quad word @ 0x40.
> # setpci binary(40.Q[32:23])
> 0x40[29:23]: 0011 0101 10
>
> Or let's say I wanted the same thing in hex:
> # setpci hex(40.Q[32:23])
> 0x40[29:23]: 0xD6

I've often found Linux to be pretty weak at that kind of thing.
I normally have to resort to invoking 'bc' and messing around with obase
and ibase.  It seems like the kind of thing that hexdump should be able
to do, although mybe making it a separate utility would be more useful.

Something like the way 'units' works, perhaps.  I do think it would be
nice to have a separate tool rather than enhancing each tool to be able
to do this kind of thing.

--
Matthew Wilcox				Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."