Re: Should we check dev->is_busmaster in pci_enable_{msi|msix}?

From: Jike Song <albcamus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:44:30 +0800

> Hi all,
>
>  In the "PCI Express Base Rev 2.0", Section 7.5.1.1:
>
> Bus Master Enable - {snip}
> Note that as MSI/MSI-X interrupt Messages are in-band memory
> writes, setting the Bus Master Enable bit to 0b disables
> MSI/MSI-X interrupt Messages as well.
>
>  But we didn't check if bus-master is enabled when enabling
> MSI/MSI-X, is this correct?  What will happen if a driver calls
> pci_enable_msi without calling pci_set_master previously?

It really shouldn't matter, as long as the driver enables
bus mastering before it wants to start receiving interrupts.

And many drivers want to disable bus mastering around suspend and
resume too.

I don't really think tieing these two things together is really a wise
idea, even though strictly yes these two things have dependencies upon
each other.