Re: PCI Resource allocation

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 12:09:40AM +0530, Deepak Pandian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In ppc4xx_pci i see the pci size to be declared as
>  u32 lah, lal, pciah, pcial, sa;
>
> Also at many other places I see the pci region is not capable of
> handling resources > 4GB. I am planning to work on this arch specific
> code to make it handle pci resource of width greater than 4 GB.
>
> But before that i wanted to clarify whether the core kernel will be
> able to handle pci regions with width greater than  4GB.

You can see the core kernel handling 64-bit BARs in drivers/pci/probe.c
in the __pci_read_base() function.  In earlier kernels, this was found
in the pci_read_bases() function.  It handles both BARs located above
4GB as well as BARs which map an area >4GB.  There aren't many devices
which have such large address space requirements, so this code is probably
not well tested, but it should work.

--
Matthew Wilcox				Intel Open Source Technology Centre
a retrograde step."