Re: pci_create_legacy_files() and non root bus

On Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:58 am Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 09:10 -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > On Monday, November 10, 2008 10:04 pm Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > Hi Jesse !
> > >
> > > Any reason why we don't create the legacy_io/mem files for child
> > > busses ?
> > >
> > > The fact that they only exist for PHBs makes it tricky for userspace
> > > programs to find them
> > >
> > > Since they only appear in /sys/class/pci_bus/* which has no hierarchy
> > > information, a user space program like in my case that gets passed a
> > > sysfs path to a device, would have to walk back up the chain to find
> > > out the phb in order to then find it in there.
> >
> > Yeah, in that case it's a bit more of a pain to find.  Originally though
> > we figured that the legacy spaces were per-domain or host bridge
> > resources, so it didn't make sense to propagate them down to child
> > busses.  If that's not the case for your platform it probably makes sense
> > to let them trickle down.
>
> They are per domain. It's just that it makes it more painful for
> userspace to find them if they aren't everywhere. Especially on PCIe
> where there's generally a P2P bridge at the root of everything.
>
> > I'd have to go make sure the code does the right thing for child buses on
> > ia64... /me checks.  I think base ia64 will be ok, but whether sn works
> > would depend on how the PROM fills in the legacy_mem address (i.e. it
> > should work but would need testing).
>
> Or you can internally make it walk up to the PHB ...

Yeah, I don't think there will be any serious problems.  May as well go ahead
and add them on a per-bus basis, but be sure to update the documentation so
people don't get confused and think that more than one space per domain might
be available.

Thanks,
Jesse