Re: C8000 serial console remote reboot

Hi Matt,

On 21.03.2018 20:12, Matt Turner wrote:
> I only learned about this recently, and I can't actually find any
> mention of it in the documentation so I thought I'd post here in case
> it's not well known.

WOW !!!
I wasn't aware of that.

> The C8000 (and presumably similar vintage hardware like the rp3440,
> etc) have a BMC (baseboard management controller) that is active when
> the system is powered. When attached to the serial console, you can
> press ESC ( and you will be able to interact with the BMC:

I knew the C8000 has a BMC, and I was able to (partly) talk
to it from inside Linux, but I had no documentation on how to
access it from serial console or network.

> (
> cli>help
> CLI Commands:
>    C [<passwordstring>]  - Change Password
>    CON                   - Display Console selection
>    FPL                   - Read Forward Progress Log
>    H                     - Help (this text)
>    I <ipmi command data> - Send any IPMI message
>       req fmt: rsSA netfnlun chk1 rqSWID rqSeq cmd [data] chk2
>       resp fmt: rqSWID netfnlun chk3 rsSa rqSeqrsLun cmd ccode [data] chk4
>    INFO                  - Display BMC FW Revision
>    IPMI <ipmi command data> - Send any IPMI message
>       req fmt: netfnlun cmd [data]
>       resp fmt: ccode [data]
>    P [0,1]               - Power Control
>    Q                     - Quit/Logout
>    RS  [s]               - Reset System [and switch to sys console]
>    SD                    - Read SDR Repository
>    SE                    - Read System Event Log
>    TOC [s]               - Send an INIT/TOC [and switch to sys console]
> cli>
>
> I've found this most useful for being able to remotely reboot (RS
> command) and power on/off (P command) the system.

That's good info!
Up to now I have my boxes connected to a USB-connected "Gembird Silvershield SIS-PM"
power plug to be able to power-cylce the machines remotely.
That way it's easier!

> Pressing ESC ) "reconnects" you to the system's serial console.
>
> The C8000 supports IPMI, and I assume you can do a lot of these same
> things over the built-in e1000 LAN interface once configured. I
> haven't tried to do that yet.

If you find more info here, please let me know.

> Hope this is useful for someone.

Yes, Thanks!

Helge