Re: Aw: Re: parsic: strange boot crash on a500

Hi Meelis,

On 28.11.2016 21:23, Meelis Roos wrote:
>> The only differences I currently see between your and my setup are:
>> 1. My palo partition contains a vmlinux file (you need to add a vmlinux file to your /etc/palo.conf file and rerun "palo -v").
>
> I pondered about that - what do you mean...

Inside the palo partition, a vmlinux & initrd file can be stored,
just in case if /boot isn't readable.
Those two files need to be configured in /etc/palo.conf with those parameters:
--recoverykernel=/boot/vmlinux.recovery
--ramdisk=/boot/initrd.recovery
Afterwards you need to run "palo -v" once.

When the IPL loader from palo is started, you can select those kernel/initrd files
via partition "0", e.g. 0/vmlinux and 0/initrd.
partition 1 is the palo partition, partition 2 is usually the /boot (ext2) partition.

It's a fallback solution for booting a system.

> and then it dawned on me - I have wrong symlink under /boot. On most
> machines I have symlink named test that points to my latest test kernel,
> but on parisc I had default vmlinux since installerkenl worked out of
> the box with it. So it just worked, until I removed vmlinux and created
> "test" symlink by mistake whern testing 4.9-rc*. Now I recreated the
> vmlinux symlink and the new kernels just work.
>
> So it was a bad user error my side, probably from staying up too late
> some day :)
>
> However, palo seems to miss error handling in that case.

Agreed, I'll try to fix that.

>> 2. In my setup I didn't added "console=ttyS0". palo does that by itself if you run via serial console.
>
> Yes, I removed it and serial console just keeps working.

Ok.

> Thank you!

No problem.
Helge