Re: Change call ABI on PA-RISC

On 11/13/2016 12:48 PM, Helge Deller wrote:
On 13.11.2016 19:56, Jeff Law wrote:
On 11/13/2016 11:37 AM, Helge Deller wrote:
If you are going to change the ABI, maybe we can add more things as well?
Which comes to my mind here is for example an optimized mcount() function
which allows changing the return pointer (see -mmcount-ra-address on MIPS) ?

As in twiddling RP to return to a different point?

No, that's not the use case for me.

I was working on the ftrace functionality in the Linux kernel.
I'd need to look up the full details again, but as far as I remember one of
the tracers wants to know the function to which the caller of mcount() would return,
so some kind of simple __builtin_return_address(2).
Ah. Isn't that going to be sitting at sp-20 or something like that. My PA is rusty, but my recollection is that's supposed to be at a fixed location in the frame.
jeff