Re: Change call ABI on PA-RISC

On 13.11.2016 19:56, Jeff Law wrote:
> On 11/13/2016 11:37 AM, Helge Deller wrote:
>> If you are going to change the ABI, maybe we can add more things as well?
>> Which comes to my mind here is for example an optimized mcount() function
>> which allows changing the return pointer (see -mmcount-ra-address on MIPS) ?

> As in twiddling RP to return to a different point?

No, that's not the use case for me.

I was working on the ftrace functionality in the Linux kernel.
I'd need to look up the full details again, but as far as I remember one of
the tracers wants to know the function to which the caller of mcount() would return,
so some kind of simple __builtin_return_address(2).

Helge