Re: parisc: fix mmap(MAP_FIXED|MAP_SHARED) to already mmapped address

On 22.02.2015 18:58, James Bottomley wrote:
On Sun, 2015-02-22 at 12:54 -0500, John David Anglin wrote:
On 2015-02-22, at 12:17 PM, James Bottomley wrote:

On 2015-02-21, at 6:57 PM, James Bottomley wrote:

On 2015-02-20, at 4:36 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Helge Deller <deller@xxxxxx> wrote:
In current eglibc it's set to 0x00400000
That's what my eglibc-patch changes...
I'm currently building a eglibc on hpviz with SHMLBA set to 4096 (__getpagesize()).

Anyone object to me fixing this upstream by making SHMLBA match the kernel?

I plan to use a fixed value of 4096, since I never expect hppa
userspace to have to care (even if the kernel uses superpages).

We currently use (__getpagesize ()) in Debian and this seems to be a common definition.
Is there a performance advantage in using 4096?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

At one time, we thought this value needed to be 4 MB.  Helge was
working on improving the mmap
allocation scheme but this work stalled after some improvement.  I
can't remember the issues and how
they relate to SHMLBA.

Actually, the number was 4 Mb (bit).

No, it was 4MB.  That's the cache equivalency stride on PA processors
because we have a VIPT cache.  The architectural requirement according
to the dreaded appendix F is 16MB but we were assured by the PA
architects that it was 4 because they never planned producing processors
that would require 16.  The actual meaning is it's the number of bits of
the virtual address that are significant in the virtual index.

Your following statement:

The point of SHMLBA is that if the same physical page is mapped into two
different virtual addresses but the two addresses are equal, modulo
SHMLBA, then the L1 cache sees the equivalency and you can't get
inequivalent cache aliases for the page (two writes to the two different
addresses producing two separately dirty cache lines which can never
resolve).  This means that the virtual addresses of all shared mappings
have to be equal modulo SHMLBA for the caches not to alias.

With this you define SHMLBA to be the representative number which defines
what the current cache equivalency stride of the kernel is, *and* which then can
be used by userspace. I think this is a misinterpretation of SHMLBA (or at
least a parisc-specific interpretation of SHMLBA), which is not like how it
is used on other architectures with similar limitations.
Userspace should not know the kernel/architecture specifics. Instead they
should try to mmap() memory somewhere (e.g. 4KB aligned) and if they need shared mappings then
kernel/glibc will return a corrected mapping address (modulo 4MB).
I think this is important, since most userspace programs usually try to mmap at
a multiple of SHMLBA with which we then run very soon out of userspace (with SHMLBA=4MB).
This has been the issue with localedef in glibc (a strange coding which tries
to be platform-specific with mmap-calculation). Because of that in the end
it turned out to be best for parisc to have SHMLBA defined to 4kb (and not 4MB).

So, your statement above is correct, I would just not use "SHMLBA" in this term,
but maybe "KERNEL_SHMLBA" instead.

Um, no, SHMLBA comes from the SYS-V IPC primitives.  They were stupid
enough to allow the user pick the address of the region of shared
memory, so the user had to know these architectural details and SHMLBA
encodes them (man shmat will give you the gory details).

For mmap, we can mostly do the right thing in the kernel, except for
MAP_FIXED, where the user has to know what they're doing again.

For the cases the user thinks they know best, we can't avoid giving out
the knowledge somehow, because inequivalent aliases in writeable
mappings will HPMC a system.  We could be more relaxed about
inequivalent aliases in read only mappings (say shared libraries), but
the consequence of that is an explosion in the use of cache space, so we
would want some libraries (like glibc) with many shared copies to obey
SHMLBA.

I agree with Helge.  We run out of memory too quickly with 4 MB.  This resulted in various
userspace applications failing as mentioned by Helge.

MAP_FIXED can fail it the address is a problem.  I believe we check for that.

If you look at the pch implementation in gcc, you will see that the MAP_FIXED problem can be
worked around, and this problem is not specific to parisc.  The pch data has to mapped at the same
address as it was originally created as there is no way to relocate the data.

SHMLBA is 4096 /* (1 << PGSHIFT) */ on hpux.

The following is in <asm-generic/shmparam.h>:
#define SHMLBA PAGE_SIZE	 /* attach addr a multiple of this */

Shared mappings are handled with
asm/shmparam.h:#define SHM_COLOUR 0x00400000	/* shared mappings colouring */

So how is the sys-v ipc problem fixed?  There the user is told to select
an address which is a multiple of SHMLBA.  Programs that do this today
will start to break on writeable mappings if we set SHMLBA to PAGE_SIZE
because the colour will be wrong.

The code returns -EINVAL.  See arch_get_unmapped_area.

But that's not a solution.  Let me try to illustrate: I have an existing
application, it uses sys-v ipc and selects a shmat address based on the
multiple of SHMLBA for a writeable mapping.  Today it works.

It will work as well with SHMBLA=4096, if you just use SHM_RND too
(and most applications do have SHM_RND).
man shmat says:
 * If shmaddr isn't NULL and SHM_RND is specified in shmflg, the attach occurs at the address equal to shmaddr rounded down to the nearest multiple of SHMLBA.
* Otherwise, shmaddr must be a page-aligned address at which the attach occurs.

So, even here shmaddr is mentioned to be page-aligned (4k), not SHMLBA-aligned (4M in your case).

Tomorrow
when you make this change, it fails with -EINVAL.  That's breaking an
existing application because chances are the app will just report the
failure and exit.

Tomorrow?  This change is *already* implemented in eglibc since a year or
so and I don't see any applications which break because of SHMBLA=4096...

Helge