Re: parisc: fix mmap(MAP_FIXED|MAP_SHARED) to already mmapped address

On Sun, 2015-02-22 at 12:54 -0500, John David Anglin wrote:
> On 2015-02-22, at 12:17 PM, James Bottomley wrote:

> >> I agree with Helge.  We run out of memory too quickly with 4 MB.  This resulted in various
> >> userspace applications failing as mentioned by Helge.
> >>
> >> MAP_FIXED can fail it the address is a problem.  I believe we check for that.
> >>
> >> If you look at the pch implementation in gcc, you will see that the MAP_FIXED problem can be
> >> worked around, and this problem is not specific to parisc.  The pch data has to mapped at the same
> >> address as it was originally created as there is no way to relocate the data.
> >>
> >> SHMLBA is 4096 /* (1 << PGSHIFT) */ on hpux.
> >>
> >> The following is in <asm-generic/shmparam.h>:
> >> #define SHMLBA PAGE_SIZE	 /* attach addr a multiple of this */
> >>
> >> Shared mappings are handled with
> >> asm/shmparam.h:#define SHM_COLOUR 0x00400000	/* shared mappings colouring */
> >
> > So how is the sys-v ipc problem fixed?  There the user is told to select
> > an address which is a multiple of SHMLBA.  Programs that do this today
> > will start to break on writeable mappings if we set SHMLBA to PAGE_SIZE
> > because the colour will be wrong.
>

> The code returns -EINVAL.  See arch_get_unmapped_area.

But that's not a solution.  Let me try to illustrate: I have an existing
application, it uses sys-v ipc and selects a shmat address based on the
multiple of SHMLBA for a writeable mapping.  Today it works.  Tomorrow
when you make this change, it fails with -EINVAL.  That's breaking an
existing application because chances are the app will just report the
failure and exit.

James