Re: parisc debian kernel - missing modules for C8000 - linux-image-3.10-2-parisc64-smp

On Fri, 2013-09-06 at 10:52 +0200, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 10:58:25PM +0200, Helge Deller wrote:
> > Maybe section 4.5 (Chips et Coherency Issues) is relevant too: ?
> > The Rage128 product revealed a weakness in some motherboard chipsets in that there is no mechanism to guarantee
>
> but radeon is not r128, iirc.
>
> My current state is:
>
> - parisc AGP GART code writes IOMMU entries in the wrong byte order and
>   doesn't add the coherency information SBA code adds
>
> - our PCI BAR setup doesn't really work very well together with the Radeon
>   DRM address setup. DRM will generate addresses, which are even outside
>   of the connected LBA
>
> I've hacked around both problems, but it doesn't solve the ring test
> issue. I even bought an PCI Radeon card to rule out any AGP oddities,
> but nothing new came out of the experiments with the PCI card.

Hang on, if you bought a new Radeon card, how are you POSTing it?  The
BIOS will have the x86 POST code.

> I've started checking drivers/video/aty to see what it does with
> acceleration and compare that with radeon DRM. The aty driver uses
> an endian config bit DRM doesn't use, but I haven't tested whether
> this makes a difference and how it is connected to the overall picture.
>
> What I'm still wondering is whether radeon DRM really works on 64bit
> big endian boxes. Is there any prove, that someone has it running ?
> Is it running on any big endian boxes ?

Yes, I've got (or rather had) one working on a power station (the IBM
Linux on Power workstation) before it died. It was an R128.

James