Re: decommissioning parisc-linux.org

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM, John David Anglin <dave.anglin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 9-Feb-12, at 12:55 PM, dann frazier wrote:

>> 2) I won't have time to be the principle admin for a system running
>>   unstable. I'm happy to help here & there, and w/ whatever
>>   transition ends up happening, but things like manually
>>   patching/fixing kernels, monitoring security updates and how they
>>   impact our bits, etc. Its a lot of work just for managing a single
>>   host.
>>
>> For 1) I think the right answer is to move services to a new
>> stable/secure host for the time being and shut the existing machine
>> down. We can retain the option of moving things back once the unstable
>> port is in full force. As a side benefit, such a migration should also
>> help get the existing services running w/ newer packages
>> (e.g. apache2) and allow us cleanly transition services over w/
>> minimal downtime (demonstrate a working system first, then update DNS
>> records). Who knows how painful it will be to go from pre-lenny to sid
>> all at once.
>>
>> 2) can be solved by moving the domain to someone else's
>> infrastructure, or having a trusted volunteer to be the primary
>> admin for the system.
>

> I need to update a few more packages before magnum is ready for buildd.
>
> Thibaut offered to setup the buildd but doesn't have a lot of free time.
>  I'm
> willing to do general system admin and monitoring the build system,
> but Thibaut  has to be in charge.  I'm hoping that Carlos is still willing
> to help
> with uploads, and to try to get his current patches into the debian eglibc
> 2.13
> patch set.  Otherwise, we may have to have a separate patch set.

Erm, it appears I didn't make myself clear: I'm willing to provide the
/hardware/ for buildd setup, but I certainly do not have time to tend
to routine buildd maintenance, as I've mentioned already. I understood
that at some point Carlos wanted to handle that part, but from what I
gather, he's also busy so it's probably not happening. I agree we need
someone to take care of the buildds, but I'm afraid it cannot be me.

HTH

--
Thibaut VARENE
http://www.parisc-linux.org/~varenet/