Re: debian hppa

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 12:24 -0400, John David Anglin wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2011, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:56 AM, dann frazier <dannf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Probably. debian-ports is the only other option I know of - but it
> > > means we need people to step up and do random bits of release work
> > > (keeping a working installer, etc). I also think we'd need to have
> > > some notion of a "stable" release - I don't think an unstable-only
> > > release is very useful outside of a developer's basement, and not
> > > something I'd want to host our infrastructure systems on.

I also don't think an unstable only release is viable.  Can't we just
run a private buildd on stable, testing and unstable?

> > > Since I don't see that happening, yes, Gentoo.
> > >

> > We need like 3-4 more people on the project to properly support
> > debian-ports for hppa. I don't think that type of support is going to
> > materialize any time soon.
>
> It's unclear whether any volunteer support for hppa remains within
> "debian".  I added the parisc-linux list to the cc list to make people
> aware of the situation.
>
> Aside from the issue about releases, the buildd process is stuck
> due to unresolved dependencies.  Maybe it should be shutdown to
> preserve state.
>
> > Therefore I think Gentoo is probably the best option for the community.
> >
> > I don't care how we achieve a sustainable distribution for hppa, only
> > that we continue to provide value to our user community.
>
> There is some hppa work still being done in Gentoo, so I tend to agree
> but I have no direct experience with it.

Sure ... I've no objection to moving from debian to gentoo if that means
we get a working distribution.  It's a bit of a hassle, since I have to
move all my x86 boxes as well (don't ask, complex infrastructure with a
parisc as gateway mirror in the middle), but I suppose it's pain only
once.

James