Re: debian hppa

On Fri, 27 May 2011, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 10:56 AM, dann frazier <dannf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Probably. debian-ports is the only other option I know of - but it
> > means we need people to step up and do random bits of release work
> > (keeping a working installer, etc). I also think we'd need to have
> > some notion of a "stable" release - I don't think an unstable-only
> > release is very useful outside of a developer's basement, and not
> > something I'd want to host our infrastructure systems on.
> >
> > Since I don't see that happening, yes, Gentoo.
> >

> We need like 3-4 more people on the project to properly support
> debian-ports for hppa. I don't think that type of support is going to
> materialize any time soon.

It's unclear whether any volunteer support for hppa remains within
"debian".  I added the parisc-linux list to the cc list to make people
aware of the situation.

Aside from the issue about releases, the buildd process is stuck
due to unresolved dependencies.  Maybe it should be shutdown to
preserve state.

> Therefore I think Gentoo is probably the best option for the community.
>
> I don't care how we achieve a sustainable distribution for hppa, only
> that we continue to provide value to our user community.

There is some hppa work still being done in Gentoo, so I tend to agree
but I have no direct experience with it.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)