Re: [alerts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: HP SUPPORT ALERT: Change to Patch services effective September 18, 2010 ? Action required]

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:33 PM, John David Anglin
> <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have forwarded this message to the list because I believe that
> > this change by HP  will impact my support of GCC and binutils on parisc
> > particularly for hpux.  However, I have always felt that hpux testing
> > provided an important validation for linux.  For many years (since
> > at least 1990), patches were available without a support agreement.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Sorry, could you please clarify your position?

I have to say I'm surprised by the change.  I think it will lead to
HP hardware and software products being viewed as unreliable and insecure
as most small businesses and software developers can't afford support
agreements.  When I had a HP system with a support agreement (early 90s),
the cost was a few thousand a year (can't remember what it exactly covered).
There is a place for support agreements in large enterprises for mission
critical products.

I have no objection to a timed phase out of support for any product, but
I think it unusual that HP will require a support agreement to access
its patch database.  Microsoft, Apple and many others provide automatic
updates for serious bugs and security problems for the nominal support
life of their products.  Patching HP-UX is still pretty much a manual
operation, and the patch database provides important clues as to what
a given patch fixes.  As far as I know, there are no product enhancements
available through the patch database.

The full implications of the change are not clear.  For example, patches
have been available via ftp without using the patch database.  It may
not apply to products that don't use the patch database for distribution.

Sendmail is broken again in HP-UX (HPSBUX02508 SSRT100007 rev.2)...
Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)