Re: futex wait failure

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM, John David Anglin
<dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One thought that has crossed my mind is that the memory pages allocated
> for the stack region used by the thread are somehow getting interchanged
> between parent and child by the fork operation.  This happens fairly
> late as both the parent and thread are executing post fork at the time
> this happens.  Possibly, this is part of the bug.
>
> I have looked at entry.S and pacache.S quite a bit and it's not obvious
> how this could happen, although I must admit to not fully understanding
> the tmp alias code.  I tend to think the bug is in the core mm code.
>
> I see a few cleanups to entry.S.  We didn't kill the misnamed macros
> (DEP, DEPI and EXTR) for example.  But I don't think these are the problem.

I can't get minifail2 to fail, how are you choosing which stack
address to watch for corruption?

Are you looking at the child's new stack created by mmap?

Are you looking at the parent's stack?

I found one bug in the hppa vfork() function call, which in the case
of error, would fail to propagate the error correctly. Fixing that and
will check it in. It doesn't account for the vfork/execve problems
though, since in this case vfork completes but execve crashes.

I also have some patches for asm-offsets.c, and entry.S to comment
some of the code better. I'll send those to Kyle after cleanup.

Cheers,
Carlos.