Re: futex wait failure

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM, John David Anglin
<dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I added an illegal instruction abort to the child.  In this case,
> the thread_run loop counter was 48085 when the page was copied and
> the before value was zero.
>
> One thought that has crossed my mind is that the memory pages allocated
> for the stack region used by the thread are somehow getting interchanged
> between parent and child by the fork operation.  This happens fairly
> late as both the parent and thread are executing post fork at the time
> this happens.  Possibly, this is part of the bug.
>
> I have looked at entry.S and pacache.S quite a bit and it's not obvious
> how this could happen, although I must admit to not fully understanding
> the tmp alias code.  I tend to think the bug is in the core mm code.
>
> I see a few cleanups to entry.S.  We didn't kill the misnamed macros
> (DEP, DEPI and EXTR) for example.  But I don't think these are the problem.

Dave,

Thank you for another test case. I agree, I also think the bug is in
the core mm code, which I am also trying to review and understand. I
haven't been able to make much progress in this area though. I'll keep
you updated when I spot something I think is wrong.

Cheers,
Carlos.