Re: futex wait failure

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 5:05 PM, John David Anglin
<dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I think we need to step back from the edge and ask ourselves what
>> Tcl_WaitForEvent() is trying to do with the locks.
>>
>> Do you know?
>
> In unix/tclUnixNotify.c:
>
> #ifdef TCL_THREADS
>    /*
>     * Place this thread on the list of interested threads, signal the
>     * notifier thread, and wait for a response or a timeout.
>     */

There will never be a timeout if you call pthread_mutex_lock as the
underlying operation. So this comment is a bit odd?

>    Tcl_MutexLock(&notifierMutex);
> #endif

> #ifdef TCL_THREADS
>    Tcl_MutexUnlock(&notifierMutex);
> #endif /* TCL_THREADS */
>    return 0;
> }
>
> There may be a timed wait while holding the lock.  Something is broken
> in the tcl/expect handling of timed waits as there were a couple of
> compile timeouts for compilations that shouldn't have timed out.

There is no timed wait possible, you have called pthread_mutex_lock,
instead of pthread_mutex_timedlock.

What are Tcl's expectations here? It looks like we are stuck in
libtcl.so for both threads, which are trying to access this event
queue.

Cheers,
Carlos.