Re: 2.6.28-rcX in pretty bad shape on parisc

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 9:54 AM, John David Anglin
<dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > So, the code is using the thread register (cr27).  Not sure what syscall
>> > this is.  However, the problem might be TLS releated.
>>
>> The thread register has always been used to track thread specific
>> information, even in linuxthreads.
>>
>> The syscall is __NR_futex.
>>
>> If you can produce a synthetic testcase that calls __NR_futex and
>> crashes the kernel then we'll have something for the kernel hackers to
>> look at?
>
> How long have futex's been used on hppa?  I guess we really need to try
> run the glibc testsuite on a new kernel.

The futex function has been available almost since futex's first appeared

The futex API is exported to userspace and can be used by any application.

e.g. man futex
~~~
NAME
       futex - Fast Userspace Locking system call

SYNOPSIS
       #include <linux/futex.h>
       #include <sys/time.h>

       int futex(int *uaddr, int op, int val, const struct timespec *timeout,
                 int *uaddr2, int val3);
~~~

Yes, the glibc testsuite is one of the best ways to exercise a lot of
kernel syscalls.

Cheers,
Carlos.