Re: [git:v4l-dvb/for_v3.7] [media] media: rc: Introduce RX51 IR transmitter driver

Hi Sebastian,

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 01:21:04PM +0200, Sebastian Reichel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > It was an requirement back then that this driver needs to be a module as
> > > 99% of the N900 owners still don't even know they have this kind of
> > > capability on their devices, so it doesn't make sense to keep the module
> > > loaded unless the user actually needs it.
> >
> > I don't think that's so important --- currently the vast majority of the
> > N900 users using the mainline kernel compile it themselves. It's more
> > important to have a clean implementation at this point.
>
> I would like to enable this feature for the Debian OMAP kernel,
> which is not only used for N900, but also for Pandaboard, etc.

Fair enough. Thanks for the info!

Timo: thinking this a little more, do you think the call is really needed?
AFAIU it doesn't really achieve what it's supposed to, keeping the CPU from
going to sleep. I noticed exactly the same problem you did, it was bad to
the extent irsend failed due to a timeout unless I kept the CPU busy.

So I think we can remove the call, which results in two things: the driver
can be built as a module and the platform data does not contain a function
pointer any longer.

Cheers,

--
Sakari Ailus