Re: Criteria for merging new board support files

Hi,

* Raphael Assenat <raph@xxxxxx> [120712 14:28]:
> Hello,
>
> We have designed a board based on the AM3505 to use in one of our products,
> an unattended payment terminal. I am wondering if it would be meaningful
> to clean up and submit our patches to add support for our board in the
> mainline.
>
> As this board is neither a development/evm platform nor a mass produced
> consumer product, not many users, if ever, will want to customize
> their kernel. Therefore I am not sure what the advantages for the
> community at large would be... Besides our code serving as yet another
> board file example.
>
> What is the current maintainer position regarding new board support files?
> Were submissions from people in the same situation ever merged? Do you think
> it worth the effort to clean up and submit our board support files?

We're moving towards device tree based booting and the board-*.c files
will be going away except for board-generic.c. No new board-*.c files
will be merged.

I've been carrying some board-*.c files in the testing-board branch,
but we're now at a point where the devicetree based booting should work
for simple cases. Some parts are of course still missing.

So I suggest you just provide a new .dts file for your board. Might be
worth posting the board-*.c file anyways so people can use that if
they want to.

Regards,

Tony