Re: PM related performance degradation on OMAP3

On 2012-04-12 08:14, Kevin Hilman wrote:
Gary Thomas<gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:

On 2012-04-11 13:17, Kevin Hilman wrote:
Gary Thomas<gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   writes:

[...]

I fear I'm seeing similar problems with 3.3.  I have my board (similar
to the BeagleBoard) ported to 3.0 and 3.3.  I'm seeing terrible network
performance on 3.3.  For example, if I use TFTP to download a large file
(~35MB), I get this:
    3.0:  42.5 sec
    3.3: 625.0 sec
That's a factor of 15 worse!

This might not be the same problem.  What is the NIC being used, and
does it have GPIO interrupts?

My board uses SMSC911x with GPIO interrupt signal.

OK, then your problem is almost certainly solved by my GPIO triggering
fix, and not related to Grazvytas' problem.

If it's using GPIO interrupts, then you likely need this patch from
mainline (v3.4-rc1)

I tried to just pick up the patch you [sort of] quoted below, but had
a hard time applying it to my kernel. I've tried to just pick up the
latest files from the mainline kernel, but so far I've nothing that
builds

Oh, right.  Sorry about that.  Yeah, that patch actually has
dependencies on other GPIO changes that were queued for v3.4 (and not in
v3.3.)

If you're on v3.3, just pull the branch below[1] which is based on
v3.3-rc2.  Pulling that into a v3.3 should build just fine.

Kevin

[1] git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/khilman/linux-omap-pm.git for_3.4/fixes/gpio

This worked a treat, thanks.  My network performance is better
now, but still not what it was.  The same TFTP transfer now takes
71 seconds, so about 50% slower than on the 3.0 kernel.  Applying the
second [unnamed] patch (arch/arm/mach-omap2/cpuidle34xx.c) made no difference.

I am interested in having PM working as I'm designing a battery powered
portable unit, so I need to keep pursuing this.

Note: I noticed that when I built with CONFIG_PM off and no other
changes, my EHCI USB didn't work properly.  Should this be the case?

Thanks again for your help