Re: [RFC] About ARM expansion boards and others things

2011/5/4 Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Enric Balletbà i Serra wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>> I'm thinking probably in a crazy idea, I hope someone can help me or
>> kill definitely this idea from my mind.
>>
>> I'll explain a little more, the real problem is I don't know how to
>> add support for an expansion board for IGEP v2 board. I see most of
>> boards adds the support inside the board-xxxxx.c file, for example if
>> the expansion board has a Touchscreen interface using ADS7846/TSC2046
>> they register ads7846 platform data in board-xxxx.c file. This is ok
>> beacause the ads7846 can be detected and if expansion board is not
>> present Âthe detection fails, but maybe other devices in expansion
>> board can't be detected (for example an I/O expansion). So which is
>> the best form to do this ?
>>
>> I'm thinking in create a kernel module for the expansion board that
>> add all the new features, the expansion board should come with a I2C
>> E2PROM for board ID storage, so the idea is create an i2c driver that
>> reads the E2PROM and if found the Board ID inits all the expansion
>> board devices.
>
> don't know if you are aware of that:
>
> http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardPinMux#Expansion_boards

Yes I know it.

> also beagle.c board file has support for some expansion boards
> already, maybe there is some code to be shared.

But I don't see any support for expansion board in board-omap3beagle.c
  http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-omap3beagle.c;h=33007fd4a0835fd298129c9fda30b844707cc08b;hb=HEAD

i see some patches (not published in mainline) that are reading a
kernel cmdline. I mean,  the bootloader (u-boot) detects if an
expansion board is present (mostly via i2c) and then add to the kernel
cmdline a parameter with the name of the expansion board. The kernel
reads this parameter and initializes the expansion board devices.

But not sure if this is a good solution. What solution do you think is
better ? Using kernel cmdline or create a separate kernel module for
every expansion board ?

In fact the purpose of this email is discuss a bit which is the proper
solution to add an expansion board to the kernel mainline.

Regards,
   Enric