Re: OMAP: DSS2: Common IRQ handler for all OMAPs

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 04:21:47PM +0200, Tomi Valkeinen wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 08:56 +0000, archit taneja wrote:
> > OMAP2 has an irq line dedicated for DISPC interrupts, there is no DSI
> > on omap2.
> > OMAP3 has a common irq line for DISPC and DSI interrupts.
> > OMAP4 has seperate irq lines for DISPC and DSI Interrupts.
> >
> > Use dss_features to have a common DSS irq handler for all OMAP revisions.
> >
> > Also, use a member of the global dss structure to store the irq number
> > as it is used in 2 functions.
>
> It's good to remove the cpu_is_xxxx() calls, but I'm not quite sure
> about this patch...
>
> Could we use shared interrupt handlers here, so that dss.c would handle
> only DISPC interrupts (or should it be even in dispc.c?) and dsi.c would
> handle DSI interrupts?
>
> On OMAP3 both dss.c and dsi.c would register to the same interrupt, and
> they would need to check if the interrupt was really for them. On OMAP4
> the code could be the same, even though the check is unnecessary.
>
> Also, as I mentioned in the email I sent some minutes ago, this patch
> fixes the free_irq call in dss_exit. Things like that should never be
> fixed silently, even if it's trivial like in this case.

does it make sense to install an irq_chip for that ? I mean, can you
mask/unmask dss and or dsi IRQs ? If you can, then it might make sense
to take a look into GENIRQ and install an irq_chip for that. Then both
dsi and dss would be able to use standard request_irq() API.

Take a look at drivers/mfd/twl*irq.c and drivers/cbus/retu.c (the last
one on linux-omap only) there are examples of how that should be
implemented. Actually twl*irq.c is wrong, as it bypasses the threaded
IRQ stuff. I have some patches for those, but I'm not sure they are
working correctly yet, needs more testing. My twl4030-irq patches are
available at [1] for reference.

[1] http://gitorious.org/usb/usb/commits/twlirq

--
balbi