Re: [linux-pm] runtime_pm_get_sync() from ISR with IRQs disabled?

On Monday, September 27, 2010, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>
> > > How about adding another flag to the dev_pm_info structure, to indicate
> > > that the runtime callbacks may be called in interrupt context?
> > >
> > > Maybe that will lead to problems I haven't thought of.  But if it seems
> > > okay to you, I can code it up easily enough.
> >
> > Hmm.  I was thinking about adding a new RPM_ flag for that, like RPM_FASTPATH,
> > telling the PM core to assume the callbacks will not sleep and that the call
> > might be from interrupt handler.
>
> That might appear more flexible, but is there any advantage to it?
> That is, would there be a situation where the driver knows that the
> next callback won't sleep but in general the callback might sleep
> sometimes?  It doesn't seem very likely.

A flag in dev_pm_info, when set, would always make the PM core behave as
though the call was made from interrupt context, even if it really wasn't,
while the RPM_ flag would allow the driver to tell it to do that when it's
really necessary.  The driver always knows which calls are made from an
interrupt handler. :-)

Thanks,
Rafael