RE: DSS2 patch series

Hi,

[Archit] I have collected some information about what these revision
numbers mean from the TI folks. The following is what I have gathered:

-For each broad version of OMAP, like OMAP3430, OMAP3630, OMAP4430 and so on,
there is an independent revision list. These are changed/incremented when
the corresponding IP blocks are modified. The numbers which we see are probably
the ones which were chosen to put into the silicon.

So, it is possible that the revision numbers of ES_1 of OMAP3430 is exactly the
same as the ES_1 of OMAP3630 even if the IP blocks have changed. This is what is
seen in the prints of the revision of 3430 and 3630 I sent in the previous mail.

These revision numbers are hence useful only within the revisions of a particular
OMAP. It looks like that there is no single revision chain since OMAP2.

-After discussions with more TI DSS folks, it seems that some changes that we may
need to make in DSS software may not be dependent on the DSS hardware at all. For example,
the patch "OMAP3630:DSS2: Updating MAX divider value" was introduced because of a change
in PRCM.

So it seems that we will need to have omap2, omap3 and omap4 checks , best we can
do is prevent them from scattering around, i.e have them at a single place during
initialization.

How do you think we can clean things up?

Archit