Re: omap3camera and linux-omap

Hi Michael and Sergio,

Michael Jones wrote:
> Aguirre, Sergio wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>

>>> -----Original Message----- From: linux-omap-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> [mailto:linux-omap- owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael
>>> Jones Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 8:48 AM To:
>>> linux-omap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Cc:
>>> sakari.ailus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: omap3camera and
>>> linux-omap
>>>
>>> I am currently using Sakari's omap3camera repository (branch
>>> 'devel'). 'git merge-base linux-omap omap3camera' tells me that
>>> the last commit omap3camera has in common with linux-omap is
>>> 40a0c47, from July 7 2010. But there are >1000 commits which are
>>> only in omap3camera, dating back to 2008.
>>>
>>> Is this destined to stay this way?
>>
>> This is because devel branch keeps a detailed development history
>> since we started working on the camera driver. At the end, the
>> patches submitted will be a consolidated set, which should end in
>> something around ~12 patches or so..
>>
>>> Or will the omap3camera tree be merged into linux-omap at some
>>> point?
>>
>> The omap3camera submission is on hold, because the camera driver is
>> dependant on Media controller framework, which is holding for merge
>> in linux-media mailing list.
>>
>>> When proposing a patch for the omap3camera tree, should it be
>>> sent to this list?
>>
>> You should preferably send the patches to linux-media (at)
>> vger.kernel.org mailing with cc to Sakari Ailus and Laurent
>> Pinchart.
>>
>> So far we have been keeping patch review internally, because we
>> didn't want to pollute the mailing list with patches to unsubmitted
>> code.
>>
>> Regards, Sergio
>>
>>> Thanks, Michael
>>>

> Hi Sergio,
>
> Thanks for the helpful reply.  Can you also clarify for me the
> difference between omap3camera and your linux-omap-camera
> (http://dev.omapzoom.org/?p=saaguirre/linux-omap-camera.git;a=summary)
> repositories?
>
> I assume this development has mainly happened on the "board-rx51*"
> platform?

As Sergio noted, this is a tree for N900. The main point for the tree,
however, is the OMAP 3 ISP driver, which can be tested on N900 as the
tree also contains N900 sensor, lens and flash drivers.

> Ultimately I want to get raw sensor data to memory.  Do you foresee
> any problems doing that with the current state of omap3camera?  Might
> I be better off going with a kernel with v4l2_int_device at first?

Please don't. It's basically obsolete.

Go with v4l2_subdev instead. If you have a sensor driver to write, the
et8ek8 driver in the omap3camera tree can be used as an example on what
ops the sensor driver should implement.

Regards,

--
Sakari Ailus