RE: DSS2 patch series

Hi,

> On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 14:05 +0200, ext Taneja, Archit wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > received some
> point out more

> > > Do you have updated patches for these? It would be easier
> to review
> > > new ones than the old ones.
> > >
> > >  Tomi
> >
> > The comments on the existing patches have been mostly related to
> > minimizing the number of patches in each series, moving
> some #defines
> > to header files and one or two typos.
> >
> > I haven't reworked these patches yet, I wanted to know if you could
> > review the changes you had suggested on the v1 of the series
> > below:
>
> I think the register handling looks much better now. Although
> defines like this:
>
> +#define DISPC_DEFAULT_COLOR(ch)	DISPC_REG(ch ==
> OMAP_DSS_CHANNEL_LCD \
> +				? (0x004C) : (ch ==
> OMAP_DSS_CHANNEL_DIGIT ? \
> +				(0x0050) : (0x03AC)))
>
> makes me wonder if a separate lookup table would be cleaner.
> But perhaps it's not too bad yet.
>
> Also, we should think how to reduce if (cpu_is_omap44xx())
> lines. There should be some kind of DSS capability list
> somewhere, which would tell the features available. I haven't
> thought this more, but it'd be very nice if we could use the
> DSS HW version number to decide what features there are.
>
> However, TI answered that information about DSS HW version
> numbers is not available, and thus cannot be used =(. Perhaps
> you could try to dig out some information from inside TI?

I will try to find out more about the version numbers, I was wondering
if the DSS_REVISION, DISPC_REVISION etc registers could be enough to
differentiate between DSS hardware features. We could put a revision
struct in the corresponding global structures.

> And, as others have commented, consider how to split the
> patches. The most important rule is that every stage in the
> patch set has to compile.
>
> One thing that I personally think makes patch sets clearer,
> is to divide a new functionality into two parts: 1) modify
> the old code, without adding new functionality, so that the
> new functionality is easier to add
> 2) add the new functionality.
>
> As an example, if we look at the new DISPC registers patch:
>
> There could first be a patch that introduces
> DISPC_XXX(channel) style registers (even if there's only one
> channel available) and modifies the functions accordingly.
>
> The second patch would introduce OMAP4 registers and whatever
> new functionality these registers require.
>
> This way it would be easy to study and test the first patch,
> as it shouldn't introduce any new functionality, but just
> "shuffles the code around".
>
> And it would be easy to study the second patch, as the needed
> base functionality is already there, and there's lot less new
> stuff added.
>
>  Tomi

Yes, this makes quite a lot of sense, I will adopt this approach
from now onwards.

Archit--