Re: Upstream linux-omap kernel on Nokia N900?

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 10:36 +0200, Quadros Roger (Nokia-D/Helsinki)
wrote:
> ext Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > * Roger Quadros <roger.quadros@xxxxxxxxx> [100419 05:06]:

> >> Yes kernel simply drops unrecognized TAGs and just prints a warning message.
> >
> > All the the custom tags should be replaced with platform_data.
> >
> > If something is needed for revision detection of the board,
> > there is arm-linux common ATAG_REVISION.
> >
> > However, also Maemo userspace depends on some things set by the
> > custom tags. As this is non-standard, we should not spend much
> > effort on that. Instead we should concentrate on making N900
> > work with any distro the standard Linux way.
> >
> > So I recommend using kexec patched Maemo kernel, then boot the
> > new mainline kernel from Maemo kernel and mount root directly
> > on the eMMC.
>
> FYI. kexec-tools will be available in maemo.org repo soon and you can also
> expect kexec patched kernel to be available.

Everything related to kexec (kernel patches and user-space) on n900 is
documented here:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/Meego_kexec_install_on_N900

kexec-tools is already available from maemo-extras (testing) repository.

Cheers,
Ameya.